Linocut

Advertisements

Screen printing 


  

I spent the day screen printing the images I had altered on photoshop. I had chosen 4 colours but after sampling I decided on a pallet of black yellow and orange even though picture 1 included green and pink also. The 3 colours looked more dramatic and I felt 5 colours of print may be to busy. I may still add further colours at the stitch stage. Time contemplating the images later I decided that the image above which was experimental as I was using the left over ink on the screen to press this image was the one I preferred. I had only screen printed this image on paper so i went back into the screen print room and reprinted. Looking at my choice of fabrics I liked the muslin as this would enable me to look through image 1 to image 2 and so on. This could be an idea for displaying the images at the end.

An issue i had to work out was how to get the images to overlay for a mix of the colour pallet and also to give a blurred or double exposed image. This required measurements and thinking before I went ahead with the print.

 

Continue to experiment with portrait 2

Today I tried painting with inks and experimenting with scale, free drawing img and tracing. I didn’t feel happy with any of today’s sampling.

I decided to use ink and bleach on fabric and allow the self directed patterns to dictate the colours for my portrait. This felt much more creative and I instantly started to enjoy the work.

The problem with using inks and bleach is that you can not always get the accuracy that you want. This can be turned into a positive if one is looking for a more abstract look.


  

Workshop on stretching canvas on frames



Bill the technician explained and demonstrated how to stretch canvas. I inquired about the hessian I have used and Bill explained the difficulty I may experience when I attempt to stretch it. I also spoke about the possibility of using finer fabrics and we discussed how that might stretch and not respond well to that type of fabric.

Difficult day on portrait 2

Today was the day to continue with portrait 2 and what a frustrating day everyday of trying to go forward today didn’t work. My aim was to produce contours of the face with fabric.

I was trying to find a way of transferring the photoshopped image to fabric and then build the contours of the face up with layers of fabric.

I tried using a

  • Light box
  • Tracing
  • Freezer paper
  • Iron interfacing
  • Painting the lines with inks
  • Free hand drawing

None of these were successful so in the end I decided to draw the basic outline and then build up the colours freehand as I do when painting.

Painting the contours with inks worked well on a previous picture but that was because the portrait was large.


Glazing my sculpted head

The head has gone through the firing process and come out in one piece. I looked at the choices of finishes and wanted a colourful glaze. The choice was limited and I chose a green that should come out shiny after a further firing.

If time allows me I still want to use this head as a maquette for creating a fabric version of me. I will have to work extremely fast on the 3 pieces, to give myself enough time to spend on the maquette.


After firing due to the higher temperatures required for glazing the head has ended up with some serious cracks. I could have used bronze oxide and rubbed it in and that wouldn’t have required firing. I like the glossy green glaze but it is essential that if producing a sculpture again I am aware of the risk of repeat firing.

Picture 1 complete/ or maybe not

Finished I think unless I decide to add a little more abstract splashes of green to the background I’m still undecided. 30 hours of work and I’m still not totally happy. This is taken from a portrait of me at 16. I was trying to get a 3D abstract image I wanted to raise the cheek more but yet not make it too relisitic.

I’ve learnt it’s hard to interpret shade into colours and the skill needed to create a choice of colour from ones own interpretations requires a great deal of skill. Due to wanting the portrait to represent me in my youth I refrained from wrinkles and creases as I felt this could confuse the age.

The time which it takes to complete the picture is excessive but I was aware of this from previous sampling and mistakes can be costly time wise.

I think if I had interpreted the image on photoshop and created the colours on paper first I could have experimented with these and settled on what works best.  This could have saved some time on unpicking mistakes.

I chose to work with the colours as it occurred to me there and then. But I think this is a disadvantage and if I where to repeat the process would design the colour patten on photoshop first.

I now need to work out how to flatten the picture and weather to hang it so the back is visible also.

I’m still not sure but need to walk away and assess what the piece still requires. I’ve cut away at the wool because it wasn’t right. This piece defiantly needs more contemplation time before it is complete.

Distorting images through various mediums. 


This effect feels to clumsy and untidy.

What is it that I am trying to find in this work? I want a blurred image that will represent age.

With the distorted image I am trying to recreate discord which represents certain times of adverse emotion pressure.

So reflecting on this experimntation I’m am after two different effects .

So to put my work in order at this moment in time. This is subject to change.

  1. Image 1 – youthful image represented by bright fresh colours in an abstract painterly way. This is using the medium of stitch.
  2. Image 2 – current age with a element of distortion to represent periods of confusion and distressing life issues.
  3. Image 3 – older image looking into the gutter represented by fading and lines. I’m not sure yet if this will be black, grey and white.